Broken Columns at Palmyra

Broken Columns at Palmyra

Broken Columns at Palmyra

Palmyra (/ˌpælˈmaɪərə/; Arabic: تدمر‎; Tadmur; Aramaic: ܬܕܡܘܪܬܐ‎; Hebrew: תַּדְמוֹר, Modern Tadmor Tiberian Taḏmôr; Ancient Greek: Παλμύρα) was an ancient Aramaic city in central Syria. In antiquity, it was an important city located in an oasis 215 km (134 mi) northeast of Damascus and 180 km (110 mi) southwest of the Euphrates at Deir ez-Zor. It had long been a vital caravan stop for travellers crossing the Syrian desert and was known as the Bride of the Desert. The earliest documented reference to the city by its Semitic name Tadmor, Tadmur or Tudmur (which means “the town that repels” in Amorite and “the indomitable town” in Aramaic) is recorded in Babylonian tablets found in Mari. File:Unidentified Colonnaded Structure at Palmyra..jpg by the Institute for the Study of the Ancient World and licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

  • File Name: Broken-Columns-Palmyra.jpg
  • File type: jpg
  • File size: 1.66 MB
  • Dimensions: 2560 x 1920
  • Date: March 4, 2021
  • SEO Title:
  • SEO Description:
  • SEO Keywords:
  • Post or page attached:
Many but not all of the images on this blog are under a Creative Commons License. If and only if the image above is under a Creative Commons license, you can find details for the different licenses at the Creative Commons. The most common licenses are Attribution CC-BY 2.0; 2.5; 3.0; and 4.0; and Attribution Share Alike CC-BY-SA 2.0; 2.5; 3.0; and 4.0;